gabriel rosenkoetter on 18 Nov 2003 14:59:02 -0500

Re: top-replies was Re: [PLUG] kernel parameters for memory usage?

On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 02:52:03PM -0500, Ben Dugan wrote:
> I agree with Paul that it is good to (1) be thoughtful about reply
> formats and (2) not try to coerce others to follow your preferences.

1 contradicts 2 when you're quoting the entirety of a thread that
everybody had the opportunity to read the first time, and doing so
in a series of replies between two people. That's confusing to
people who want to skim back (because the text you're actually
replying to isn't usefully near your reply) and irritating to people
who read the message the first time (because it's a massive amount
of wasted bandwidth).

There's no justification beyond laziness for a top-reply. It shows
that you didn't care enough to make your message legible, in which
case I probably don't care enough to answer your questions. (I made
an exception today because I saw what I thought was bad advice being
given to an inexperienced user.)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net