kar on 24 Nov 2003 11:47:02 -0500

[PLUG] Re: Why am I running out of memory?

According to Walt Mankowski:
> I've got a process that allocates huge chunks of memory to do matrix
> manipulations.  It runs fine for smallish matrices, but when the
> process size gets too big (somewhere on the order of 2 gigs, according
> to top) it aborts.

The 2.4 kernels have a 2G memory limitation per pid.  I ran into this same
problem performance tuning a mysql database.  Our solution was to break the
process into multiple processes.  Parent/Child isn't good enough either, as
the parent pid will reach the 2G limit and then hang.

-kar