David Shaw on 28 Nov 2003 13:51:02 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Severe Bug in GnuPG

On Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 12:53:29PM -0500, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 10:57:21AM -0500, David Shaw wrote:
> > Possibly.  I'm not sure where the 20 came from, but it might have been
> > because the faulty key type is 20 (RSA is 1, DSA is 17, the safe
> > Elgamal is 16).
>
> Must be. Unfortunately, I've deleted the message I was reading from,
> so...
>
> > Still, 848 keys is only around 0.04% of all keys on the keyservers.
>
> Wow. Didn't realize there were that many keys out there. I'd say
> that's a good sign for PGP penetration, but there are probably way
> fewer unique and active users of PGP than that.
>
> > This is a serious security failure, to be sure, but at the same time,
> > there were a lot of roadblocks placed in front of people using these
> > keys.
>
> And yet, people did anyway. Do you suppose this was a "I always push
> the button that says don't push this button" reaction, or did people
> really think they were getting something with ElGamal?

Before the RSA patent expired, Elgamal did give you something: a
non-encumbered signing algorithm that wasn't limited to 1024 bits and
a 160-bit hash.  Since 9/2000, there has been no reason to use it
other than that you might have generated your key before 9/2000.

To be sure, there is always the contingent of people who use Elgamal
because "the government influenced the design of DSA", or "I read
somewhere that RSA was broken", etc.

David