Stephen Gran on 25 Dec 2003 22:48:02 -0500

Re: [PLUG] gnome-terminal and opening URL's

On Thu, Dec 25, 2003 at 10:11:27PM -0500, Jeff Abrahamson said:
> gnome-terminal 2.4.2, unlike it's old 1.4 counterpart, wants to open
> http URL's in lynx in a new gnome-terminal.  That's not what I want.
> (If it's going to assume X, then I want galeon or mozilla.)
>
> Alas, it also no longer pays attention to .gnome/Gnome, and .gnome2
> has no such file.  And there's no GUI way to set it apparently.  And
> google shows many other confused people but no answer that I've found.
>
> Anyone else figured this out?

GNOME calls the program /usr/bin/sensible-browser to open a 'sensible
browser' for you.  It sounds like, from reading the code quickly, you
don't have an alternative for x-www-browser.  man update-alternatives
for how to set it.  Look in /etc/alternatives for other examples of the
kinds of thing this system handles.

|  Stephen Gran                  | Nothing will ever be attempted if all   |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | possible objections must be first       |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | overcome.   -- Dr. Johnson              |