Stephen Gran on 10 Jan 2004 18:05:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Installing Debian Linux

On Sat, Jan 10, 2004 at 11:02:24PM +0530, McLinux said:
> Hello List,
>
> I would like to install Debian Linux on my PC. However the problem is, I
> am a total newbie for Debian. I have used RedHat, Mandrake flavor of
> Linux for years, but never ever tried Debian. Couple of weeks back, I
> went ahead with installing it. Its installation process totally
> intrigued me.  Whatever options that made sense me to me, I applied them
> and went ahead with installation. However when the installation was
> over, to much of my disappointment or may be ignorance, I could not find
> my graphics card detected. The sound card and other devices were as well
> not detected.
>
> I am pretty sure that I may not have gone correctly on my journey to
> installing Debian linux. And I guess I should yell for "Help". So is
> there a way, a pointer to install Debian. I am not asking for any easy
> task, but yet something that yields result.

No, that is probably the expected result.  Debian's installer for woody
did not do any real hardware autodetection.  I hear that the one for
sarge will address some of these issues, but I have not yet tried it.
If you don't know which modules to use for sound and video cards and so
forth, send the outout of lspci, and somebody will be able to tell you.

|  Stephen Gran                  | Real Users never know what they want,   |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | but they always know when your program  |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | doesn't deliver it.                     |