Arthur S. Alexion on 23 Jan 2004 18:35:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Speaking of Win98 -- Samba question

Stephen Gran wrote:

On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 12:56:06PM -0500, Art Alexion said:

...but not vice-versa. Linux machine does not show up in the windows explorer "network" folder (nor in the network browser) just "entire network" and the windows machines. I have not defined any shares on the Linux machine, but shouldn't the machine itself show up?

Yes. I seem to remember problems with browsing if samba is run out of inetd, rather than as a standalone daemon. See if browsing works when run standalone, and debug from there.

Stephen,

Please explain what you mean by 'running samba out of inetd, rather than as a standalone daemon'.

I started samba using the 'Service Configuration' GUI.