Brian Colgan on 27 Feb 2004 13:31:02 -0000

[PLUG] Linux on the desktop: closer than you think

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004, Magnus wrote:

> In the corporate environment, I think the things that are holding back

> Linux adoption (IMHO anyway) include:
> * Office suite.  OOo doesn't score too well on interoperability with
MS
> Office, which is pretty much a requirement.  Lots of complaints from
users
> about ease of use, performance, and UI consistancy.
> * Groupware.  I know the KDE camp has some neat stuff going on here so

> this may change.
> * Applications.  I work for a company that does E911 location
services.
> As you might imagine, we use a lot of software for mapping.  The
options
> on Linux are pretty slim here.  This seems to be true for a lot of
> application types.  There are a lot of half finished projects, and
about a
> zillion finished IRC clients.  Clue: We don't need any more IRC
clients.
> * Network filesystem.  NFS (<v4) should go the way of telnet.
> Unfortunately it is the defacto standard.  AFS sounds good in theory
but
> is a nightmare in practice.  There are some other options, mostly
academic
> experiments, but nothing stands out as a good way to mount remote
> filesystems in a secure fashion.

As I was showing some local linux professionals last night, the Xandros
desktop OS is closer than you think. Our Business Edition due out in a
few weeks comes with Star Office, and authenticates against Windows PDCs
and Active Directory Servers. Business as well as Deluxe come bundled
with Codeweaver's Crossover Office to allow use of the most popular
windows apps like Office, IE, Photoshop, etc. Easing migration from
Windows to Linux by supporting the use of Windows apps is a valid
strategy.

There is a 45% LUG discount available. Please use this discount coupon
code 036ec84e82d6 when ordering from
http://shop.xandros.com/product_info.php?products_id=30

Please note that this discount coupon is only valid for the Deluxe
Desktop currently.

Regarding mapping software, I talked to Ron Torney from TGI at
Linuxworld - rtorney@tginc.com - TGI's mapping sofware runs on (as I
recall) RH and SuSE, and I sent him a copy of Xandros to test as well.

Groupware: I'm planning on being at next week's PLUG meeting to see what
the KDE boys have to show us on that front.

Regards

--
Brian Colgan
Channel & Corporate Sales brianc@xandros.com