Mike Leone on 6 Apr 2004 20:53:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Re: Well, its official -- Sun is serious about being anti Linux and Open Source

Adam Turoff (ziggy@panix.com) had this to say on 04/06/04 at 16:28:
> On Sun, Apr 04, 2004 at 07:23:48PM -0400, Mike Leone wrote:
> > Jeff Abrahamson (jeff@purple.com) had this to say on 04/04/04 at 17:00:

> > > And Apple is MS's last best bet to keep antitrust regulators off
> > > their back, as Apple is viewed as their only real competitor in the
> > > commercial OS market.
> > >
> > > Many of us believed (and still do) that MS helped Apple because they
> > > *need* Apple to have a minority OS share if MS is to have any hope
> > > at all in the legal arena.
> >
> > The point being, that Apple stayed in business and thrived, after
> > having money invested in them by MS. And they, too, signed some
> > technology agreements with MS (at one time). This as a counter to the
> > claim that Sun would be out of business Real Soon Now.
>
> By that logic, any animal with black stripes must be a bumble bee.

Nope; an animal with black stripes might be a bumble bee. I cited one
example, of a possible different outcome, based on a past example. I did not
present a definite outcome. You're stretching my example to prove your own
point.

> Apple is thriving on its own merits.  It went back to its core values,
> nurtured its fanatical customer base, and developed great products.
> Their OS was dying a long, slow death, and they managed to complete a
> transition to a new CPU architecture, while gradually migrating to a new OS.
>
> In the process, they also built some cool hardware that enticed many
> non-customers to become customers: the iMac and PowerBooks come to mind.
> They also delivered software to define and simplify 'the digital
> lifestyle', as well as pretty much writing the book on digital music.
>
> Sun, by comparison, has been languishing longer and deeper than Apple
> did after Jobs left.  They're dealing with a stodgier customer base that
> isn't fanatically loyal, and they're not innovating anymore.
>
> The things that Apple and Sun have in common, aside from their
> investments from Microsoft, are that their continued existance helps
> bolster Microsoft's claim that it does in fact have competition.  But
> that is precisely where the analogy ends.

Perhaps. Let's pick this specific conversation up in about 5 years, by which
time we should know for sure.