Michael C. Toren on 13 Apr 2004 02:34:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] sparcstation 5 and wireless

On Mon, Apr 12, 2004 at 10:10:48PM -0400, Michael Lazin wrote:
> I have a sparcstation 5 running  Aurora Linux that I would like to
> connect to my wireless network.  I am using DSL and a wireless router.
> Would it be possible to attach a wireless access point to the
> sparcstation via ethernet in order to access the rest of my network?

While this is not possible using most access points, the Linksys WAP11
supports a "wireless bridge" mode, which is designed to bridge a wired
ethernet network segment with a remote wireless access point.  Linksys
also produces the WET11 Ethernet Bridge, however this device can *only*
be used as a "wireless bridge", and never as a traditional access point.
Worse, the WET11 typically sells for more than the more versatile WAP11.

Ofcourse, if you were so inclined, you could also build your own bridging
device using a Linux box that contained two network cards, one wired and
one wireless.

> Is it possible to receive an IP address through DHCP from my router, or
> will I have to assign it a static IP address?

Yup, DHCP should work over the bridge.

Good luck,
-mct