Paul on 17 Jun 2004 15:38:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] UTF-8 question

Jeff Abrahamson wrote:

I tried to view this web page and found it to look like garbage to me:

   http://phi.sinica.edu.tw/aspac/reports/94/94002/plot-2.html

The page appears to be UTF-8 encoded.

So I'm curious if this garbage display means that I have configured my
machine badly for UTF-8 or if the UTF-8 in question is specifying a
script system (glyph set?) that I do not have installed.

The page doesn't specify the character encoding, so the server will use its default. Maybe the encoding of the page doesn't match the default. Your browser will also try its default encoding, which also may not match.

My browser tries Windows-1252, which isn't correct. None of the other encoding that I tried make a difference.

Oh, the domain name ends with ".tw" so maybe you should try an Asian encoding. BAM! That's it! It's kanji! Chinese Traditional (Big5).