Art Alexion on 23 Jun 2004 13:15:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] verizon dsl send mail

sandy Bee wrote:

--- James P Dugan <jamesdugan@adelphia.net> wrote:

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 21:49:05 -0400
Art Alexion <art.alexion@verizon.net> wrote:

<>
Stephen Gran wrote:

|I am
|assuming that Verizon needs authenticated SMTP even from addresses

<>|that they serve? That is a little strange, but not unlikely. If

<>|that is the case, what version of exim are you running? That will

<>|make a big difference in how to set up client auth smtp - v3 and v4

<>|are fairly different.

I just started with Verizon DSL last Friday, and, indeed, they

<>authenticate STMP even originating from their own IPs. Their SMTP

<>expects both username and password.

<>-I am connected to the internet and I can fetch mail with fetchmail. I can not get verizon to accept the mail that I send. I used eximconfig to set up the connection on exim.

Sandy,

I can't help you with exim as I have never needed to use it. My system is set up either to use sendmail or just to use Verizon's SMTP server. If I understand correctly you are using your own MTA -- exim -- but still going through Verizon's SMTP server.. If you are going to use Verizon's SMTP server, you are going to have to set up your system to authenticate you as the sender using your mail username and password, just as you would when receiving mail.

I am using Verizon's SMTP server right now with Mozilla as my MUA. If you want to do the same, go into "Mail Account & User Preferences..". from the "Edit" menu.

Set up the "Outgoing servers (SMTP)" with your outgoing server, not as exim but, as outgoing.verizon.net. The port should be set at the default 25.

Check the box for "username and password" and in the username field, type your Verizon email username that you use to log in to receive mail.

You will be prompted for a password the first time you send mail. Use the same password that you use to receive mail.

In the prompt to enter the password, there is a block that you can check if you want Mozilla to remember the password.

That's it.  Works fine for me.

BTW, I have so far found that Verizon's web site, while dumbed down to the point of being difficult to find answers to difficult questions, is still much better than their phone reps in the residential division. If you have a difficult question and can't find it on the web site, don't ask a residential tech rep. Instead call their business support. I have found them to be helpful even if you have a residential account as long as you have tried getting an answer from the residential side.

Are you using the mentioned Penguin PPOE? Any tricks to getting it to connect with Verizon?

--

art Alexion