Michael C. Toren on 24 Jun 2004 01:33:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] verizon dsl send mail

On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 09:04:17PM -0400, Art Alexion wrote:
> I was always under the impression that a local MTA, like sendmail or
> postfix (or exim) was an *alternative* to using your ISP's SMTP server.
> I have never tried to use both concurrently.  My sendmail configuration
> knows nothing about the ISP's SMTP server, and I bypass sendmail when I
> use the server (which is my default setup).

If you don't leave your system powered on all the time, it's nice to use a
smart host to move mail out of your queue as quickly as possible and to a
host that will periodically retry to send mail that fails the first time.
In other situations, some providers make it difficult their customers to
perform DNS MX lookups or establish outbound SMTP connections, forcing you
to use them as a smart host.

> Why bother with a local MTA if you are using the ISP's server for
> outgoing mail?

Some programs (for example, mutt) don't speak SMTP but would still like to
be able to send mail through a /usr/sbin/sendmail or qmail-inject style
interface.  To support these programs, you need a nullmailer of some sort.

-mct

--
perl -e'$u="\4\5\6";sub H{8*($_[1]%79)+($_[0]%8)}sub G{vec$u,H(@_),1}sub S{vec
($n,H(@_),1)=$_[2]}$_=q^{P`clear`;for$iX){PG($iY)?"O":" "forX8);P"\n"}for$iX){