Art Alexion on 27 Jun 2004 13:31:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Spammers Using My Domain

Tobias DiPasquale wrote:

On Saturday 26 June 2004 05:09, Paul wrote:
| What to do?  I'm getting an increasing number of rejected e-mail
| notifications due to spammers using my domain name.  My domain is
| registered with http://godaddy.com and I use their service to forward
| e-mail addressed to my domain to my Comcast account.  Is there a way to
| use SPF in this case?  Should I run my own mail server?  What else can I
| do?

If you ran your own mailserver, you could implement SPF but it would do
precious little to stop the joe-jobbing bounce storm (right now, anyway).
There is very little one can do about this on today's Internet except toss
out the bounces.

... and start signing your mail. I had avoided using gpg, thinking it unnecessary until I got fed up with exactly the problem you are having. My further concern was the the bounces seemed to be coming from Russia, and the attached emails all seemed related to scams and out right frauds. While it would be hard to connect them to me, I wanted to make it even harder.
--

art Alexion