Art Alexion on 13 Jul 2004 12:16:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] VoIP

Art Clemons wrote:

E911 is Packet8's service that relays your positition to the 911 server for whatever community you register with Packet8. In other words if you tell them you live in Philadelphia, your E911 calls will go to Philadelphia's 911 number with the information you gave Packet8.

With cell phones, your 911 call is routed to the police nearest the cell that you are calling from, regardless of the location of the account. Only once did this fail to work when about 12 years ago my car was broken into in West Phila, and my 911 call was routed to Delaware County. Now, if the Swarthmore guy was using his packet 8 E911 service in Sweeten (or more realistically, Minnesota) would his 911 call be routed to Swarthmore?

I don't know what it costs, I find a landline phone comforting, I just got back from a really large city (Chicago) where my friend's cellphone could not be used even in roaming in much of the city. It worried him more than me, but was one more reason why I want a landline. Also cell service dies pretty much when the available channels are used by a lot of people at once. Try center city at rush hour with some providers and you'll get no service.

Carrier coverages vary and you have to pick one that works where you spend most of your time. With the exception of Cheltenham Ave., near Broad St., and the first big curve southbound on the West River Drive -- each dead spot no larger than 1.5 city blocks -- I have never had a problem using Sprint in the Philadelphia City Limits.

I was an early adopter of cell phones, I'm no longer a big fan and I sincerely hope that cell phones won't become a replacement for every phone usage. Finally am I the only one this list who can tell whether someone is calling from a cell phone most of the time?

My cell phone is one of my primary business tools, and I have done a lot of shopping and testing. CMDA service (Sprint/Virgin and Verizon) is often clearer than land lines, and is not even detectable by the prison phone system (that is set up to disconnect calls to cell phones and three way calling features). TMDA (Cingular) and GSM (Cingular, ATT and T-Mobile) is almost always recognizable except with the strongest signals. Nextel, well...

Bottom line cell service varies widely, and the carrier that works best for one person, is not necessarily the best for another.

--

art Alexion