Aaron Crosman on 3 Aug 2004 16:20:03 -0000

RE: [PLUG] CMS, revisited

I'm new around to the PLUG list, so it's nice to finally have a question
asked that I have clue about.  Several months ago I started to research
into this (before being side tracked 9 or 10 times by other projects).

I work at a non-profit with many small offices, so we were looking for a
CMS that would allow each office to maintain their page without any
influence over the site as a whole.  At the same time we have a small
staff, so we were hunting for something with minimal setup/customization
requirements.  We got as far as testing two PHP/MySQL solutions.

APC-AA http://actionapps.org/ (which is designed to be used by
non-profits like the one I work for) was a pain to setup, and painful to
get started with.  It looked as though if you got through the
setup/customization stage it would be easy for users, but always a
challenge for administrators (the maintainers were recommending updates
at least once a week) at the time.  It's advantage was that it was
highly modular, and allowed for a great deal of control over who could
edit which "slices" of the site.  It's well suited if you have a bunch
of contributors that each needs to have their own little fiefdom and
don't like to be forced to interact with each other (it make web
collaboration really interesting).

We also messed around with Drupal http://www.drupal.org/.  Which
installed smoothly, and ran happily.  Our web editor didn't like it, but
I think that was just a personal preference issue.  It came with a bunch
of easy to install modules (at least the two I tried), to add almost any
basic feature you might want.

I looked at, but never got a chance to play with Mambo
http://www.mamboserver.com/  I have heard several people speak highly of
it in the last few months, and when we get back to trying to pick a CMS
I'll probably start there.

That's what I learned from my experiences.  I'll be nice to have some
additional reviews of others to look back it when we finally resume our
search for a CMS.

Aaron