Art Alexion on 22 Aug 2004 13:34:08 -0000

Re: [PLUG] update strategies/partition issue

Paul wrote:

Art Alexion wrote:

I'm starting to think this is the problem, though Compaq and Crucial both recommend PC133.

Bad slot maybe?

Not likely. I have tried new chip-slot 0/old chip slot 1 -> no boot
New chip slot 0, alone -> no boot
Old chip slot 0/new chip slot 1 -> successful boot without recognizing the new chip.

Did Crucial only recommend one type of memory?

Same as Compaq/HP -- PC133 SDRAM.

Did you try the new memory by itself?

Yes. See above.

What is the mobo's maximum memory capacity?

512

This is a long shot, but have you tried resetting the BIOS to fail-safe settings?

A-ha. Sorta. Crucial recommended updating the BIOS and directed me to Compaq/HP's site to download the ROMpaq. This machine is a Compaq Deskpro EXm C566. Compaq lists the Deskpro EX and EXS -- no EXm. The BIOS I downloaded was supposed to be for the EX and EXS C566. I downloaded, made the boot/install/flash floppy, booted with it, followed the instructions, and... clunk... refused to flash the BIOS, citing incompatibility. I have sent an email to Compaq tech support with my serial number.

--

Art Alexion

The attachment -- signature.asc -- is my electronic signature; no need for alarm.
Info @ http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/signature.asc.what.html

Key for signed PDFs available at
http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/ArthurSAlexion.p7c