Ed Martin on 24 Aug 2004 10:14:02 -0000

RE: [PLUG] VoIP update

$20.55 is the cost. I figured it's working now so I'm not making any waves
for a while.

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org
[mailto:plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org] On Behalf Of Paul
Sent: Tuesday, August 24, 2004 12:05 AM
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Subject: Re: [PLUG] VoIP update

Ed Martin wrote:

> I signed up for packet 8 (www.packet8.net <http://www.packet8.net/>)
> it?s not the cheapest ($19.99) but it had a lot of good features that
> where good. Installing it was a breeze, I was dialing out Ten minutes
> after I opened the box (prob could do it in 5) After that I was
> supposed to receive an email with my new phone number? **The fog rolls
> in** ? Well I never got it. I figured after a half hr I was not going
> to so I called. No answer so I had to leave a message with a phone
> receptionist (which was a bit resistant to doing this) no return call.
>
> The next day I emailed, no return email. The following day was a
> Sunday.. wasn?t even going to waste the oxygen in my blood to try.
> Monday I called again? ten minutes on hold what do I get? phone
> attendant. Left message blab la bla? 2 hrs pass, I call again. OMG I
> got a human! He informs me that no numbers are available for my
> exchange (who really cares) **I bet this is why they did not issue and
> automatic phone number the system didn?t know what to do without a
> number so it kicked it back for review and no one reviewed it** So
> ?Joe? issued me a phone number after 30 seconds and I was done.
>
> Documentation? What documentation? You need to know how this works?
> Why? The blindness of this whole thing stinks! If I was not a
> technician I would have thrown my hands up in disgust! The
> documentation on hand STINKS! I could get R rated over this fact
> alone. Someone with ½ a mind needs to go in and document this company
> and process. The documetation written by someone who knows what they
> are doing and it shows. Give it to a novice and have them do it, I?ll
> bet your tech support will be clogged. (the tech support is next to
> impossible to get hold of) If I was a novice I?d be spending Ten bucks
> to send it back.
>
> Over all,
>
> As usual with any service you buy on the net, it?s all good until you
> need service. In some cases like mine you need service (I could not
> give myself a phone number) Other than the phone number issue all has
> worked well. I understand that if you hit your internet hard it could
> distort it. I personally crash tested this and had no ill effects.
>
> On a 1-10 scale
>
> Service is a = 1 (the only thing saving this ?1? rating is MY
> persistence)
>
> Quality of service = 9
>
> Ease of setup = 8 ( Documentation again allows for no mistakes or
> trouble shooting)
>
> Customer satisfaction = better than verizon
>
> ~Ed

If you want to switch to Vonage, let me know. I could refer you and both
of us would get a one-month credit. Vonage phone support has been good.
I called to port my number. I never did get a e-mail reply about port
forwarding not working on the VoIP box. That's one strike against e-mail
support. (I could contact Motorola about the port forwarding issue, but
I don't feel that I've analyzed the problem enough my self.)

Vonage issues, or you can buy, a Motorola VoIP which is documented by
Motorola. I have found Vonage's documentation to be good, too.

Oh, how much does Packet 8 cost, total, including taxes??