Art Clemons on 13 Sep 2004 01:14:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] newsgroup?

Bruce Coryell:
>Wouldn't it make sense to set up the communications within this group
>as a newsgroup on Usenet, instead of clogging up each others' inboxes
>all the time?

Usenet has lots of downsides, including that one has to convince one's usenet provider to handle the newsgroup in question. Also, you have not lived until you've seen how many trolls a newsgroup attracts and with things like mail2news even idiots can keep on posting to newsgroups with no concern for topicality or the desires of most of the readers.

Usenet is also slowly fading away in usage terms, in fact I'ld guess that less than one fifth of the folks using email have read a usenet posting in the past year. Sorry but email makes sense even if at times to some there appear to be too many responses.