sean finney on 13 Sep 2004 13:07:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Religious Questions

On Mon, Sep 13, 2004 at 08:07:58AM -0400, Tobias DiPasquale wrote:
> Seriously, though, RH/SuSE have Bugzilla, too (and they work) and I
> would imagine that the only thing you mentioned above that RH and SuSE
> lack is the social contract. The development process is the same (just
> faster), RH has more software available than Debian and stable is

the development process is not at all the same!  first off, anyone can
contribute to or become a developer for debian.  debian has a strict
set of guidelines for what and how software gets into the distribution,
and what quality assurance checks it must pass.  but perhaps most
importantly, this is all completely transparent to the general public.
all the rules, guidelines, bugs, development statuses, and security
issues are made available.

as far as available software, my rhn account says that redhat provides
1215 seperate packages for the latest version of their enteprise server.
you do realize that debian has well over 10 TIMES that amount?

> __too__ slow IMO. Plus, you can't just pull what you want from testing,
> b/c that will almost invariably pull stuff that you do not want, as
> well (think libc dependency). And, finally, if you do decide to grab
> from testing, forget about security updates for those pieces of
> software (at least, from Debian itself).

the whole point of pulling only what you need (+ deps, yes) is that you
minimize what isn't part of the stable security infrastructure.  we've been
over the security issue as well.  it's not that there is no security
infrastracture for testing, it's just you don't have the same guarantee
that you do with stable.  and if you're concerned about security, then
you'd already be subscribed to debian-security-announce, and you'd know
about it ahead of time.  typically security updates to testing are only
a day or so behind, assuming that the issue isn't moot because the
version in testing is usually far ahead of what's in stable to begin
with.

> In any case, my preferred distro is Gentoo. Its just that RH gets a bit
> of a bad rap from the tech cognoscenti and IMO its a little undeserved.

not having used gentoo, i can't say anything one way or another.  i have
friends who are big fans though.  maybe when i finally get that amd64
system, i'll give it a whirl.  however, i do have extensive experience
with redhat, and i think that having to manage 50+ production machines
gives me sufficient credentials to bitch about it :)

> equivs?

basically, you provide a control file for a dummy/non-existant package,
and equivs will convince your system that you have that package
installed.  say for example, you want to run a newer version of x.org's
xserver, and don't have xfree86 installed.  there's tons of stuff that
depends on having an x server, so you could use equivs to tell your
system that you indeed have one installed.

	sean