Paul on 15 Sep 2004 15:43:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] rp-pppoe and Verizon DSL

Art Alexion wrote:

Uh, I have good news. Routers can be gotten for $10, $15, $20 after rebate these days. That includes 802.11b routers.

I've been spying the Linksys Speed Booster 802.11g router because it's hackable and much smaller, quieter, and more energy efficient than my Classic Athlon 600 tower. That you could get for $80 maybe.

I guess what you are telling me is that my IP-Masq project is a waste of time at these prices...

No way. Using Linux and Netfilter is great. I'm just saying that, since I live in a tiny place, and I would like to play with the PC without worrying about breaking the network, maybe a router would be nice to have. For $10 to $20 the router would also make a good backup for the Linux router.