Doug Crompton on 20 Sep 2004 05:27:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Verizon DSL

I checked tonight and it looks like DCA will only qualify my location at
144/144 - which (althought they don't specify it) is IDSL. They are
obviously using a map and my address as I am about 23K feet from the CO.
What they don't know is that I am on an RT and that would not work either
for IDSL. I am assuming they cannot get into the Verizon RT for ADSL.

Verizon continues to qualify my line for ADSL but the only way I will know
for sure is to apply for it.

I do not see any significant restrictions for Verizon business DSL with
Static IP. They specify business use with web/mail servers etc. I see no
wording on the web about blocked ports or restrictions of use.

This is $79/month - first month free - 30 day trial - no hookup fee - $185
rebate - 1 year contract

I am currently paying $65/month for a 24/7 PPP static IP dialup plus the
cost of the phone line. So comparing to that it is certainly a no-brainer
assuming it works.

Doug

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004, William H. Magill wrote:

> DCA also will accept a DNS designation from you. I run the primary for
> mcgillsociety.org, they take the feed from me.  (My domain happens to
> be registered through them and "it comes with," so I don't know what
> their charge policy would be, if any, for other registrations.)
>
> Give them a call and ask.
>
> T.T.F.N.
> William H. Magill

*  Doug Crompton	   *