Art Alexion on 26 Sep 2004 13:57:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] speaking of passwords (Samba)

Eric Hidle wrote:

But there IS a username. On Win9x, you have to be logged in as someone in
order to access the "Windows Network," as it were. Is it possible there is
no network login being used on the machine that doesn't work?

I set up the network so that our Windows UIDs and passwords were the same as out Linux ones.

A clue to the problem is that when I logged on to windows (the time it first broke) Windows asked me to retype the password (as it does when you first set one). This would lead me to believe that the PWL file was corrupt or deleted. But when I checked the modification date on the file, it was months ago. I am logging in fine, as I can get the other machine on the network.

--

Art Alexion

The attachment -- signature.asc -- is my electronic signature; no need for alarm.
Info @ http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/signature.asc.what.html

Key for signed PDFs available at
http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/ArthurSAlexion.p7c