Art Alexion on 3 Oct 2004 13:07:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] X or fluxbox problem

Stephen Gran wrote:

On Sat, Oct 02, 2004 at 04:29:34PM -0400, Art Alexion said:

On Sat, Oct 02, 2004 at 01:50:08PM -0400, Art Alexion said:

My default window manager in Red Hat 7.3 is fluxbox. I use Yum/Fedora Legacy to keep the system up to date. A recent yum update updated a lot of stuff, including the kernel and XFree86. Now fluxbox won't load. It starts to load and then X restarts and I am back to the kdm login screen.

KDE and Window Maker load fine.

~/.xsession-errors
  Failed to load groupfile:
  Xlib: No protocol specified

  You're probably trying to run an X app from the console, you idiot! RTFM
  Xlib: No protocol specified

  Fatal error : Couldn't open display

Xlib: No protocol specified

(Connection refused by X - after here it's just individual apps failing with the same basic problem)

# uname -a

Linux rodney 2.4.20-30.7.legacy #1 Fri Feb 20 10:46:44 PST 2004 i686
unknown

Probably fine - has recent X modules

# egrep '^\((WW|EE)\)' /var/log/XFree86.0.log

(WW) xf86AcquireGART: AGPIOC_ACQUIRE failed (Device or resource busy)
(EE) GARTInit: AGPIOC_INFO failed (Invalid argument)

X doen't like somthing about your agp. Probably not fatal, since other X apps (like kdm) start. Probably no accelerated graphics, though.

I tried to run fluxbox from within a kde session. all of the programs in .fluxbox/init loaded fine. Of course, the WM itself did not.

Good.

Also try moving your .fluxbox stuff out of the way, and retrying.

Not tried yet.

Don't bother - I think I see the problem now. There are some minor errors with your agp card that are probably worth investigating at some point, but they are a red herring for now. Your main problem is that X is refusing the connection from fluxbox. I am guessing (I don't know for sure - each distro seems to do X in a totally different way, and I can't keep them all straight) that kde and window maker are 'session types' started by kdm, but fluxbox is started from your .xsession or something? There is an option to allow/disallow .xsession/.Xresources for X. It may also be that kdm spawns kde and window maker in a different way than it does fluxbox (kde is usually started by startkde, a wrapper script, while fluxbox is started by running the binary directly, IIRC. Don't know about WM, but ISTR it has a wrapper script as well). Maybe when it's running the wrapper script, the wrapper script is managing to set your uid to something that X doesn't refuse? See below.

Debian has an Xsession.options file that has (surprise) options for the
Xsession, and it contains things like:
allow-user-resources
allow-user-xsession
This or the redhat equivalent would be the place for the first problem.

for just this kind of thing.  There is also an Xwrapper.config that
contains
allowed_users=console
to grant priviledges to local users.  Another valid option is root-only,
so this might be the solution to the second problem.

I am betting it is one of these things screwing you up, although I don't
know where Redhat puts the equivalent.  grep -ri allow /etc/X11 (probably
as root, since Xwrapper.config is not world readable here) will get you
to which file to poke at.

Good luck with it.

Thanks, Stephen. Does it help with the diagnosis that this has never been a problem until the kernel and X were recently updated? KDE & Window Maker were installed with the distro (updated, but originally included) whereas I installed fluxbox from a .tar.gz. I edited /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession to include fluxbox by just mimicking the lines for the other window managers. Would it help if I showed you /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession?

--

Art Alexion

The attachment -- signature.asc -- is my electronic signature; no need for alarm.
Info @ http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/signature.asc.what.html

Key for signed PDFs available at
http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/ArthurSAlexion.p7c