W. Chris Shank on 9 Dec 2004 17:11:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Re: what is the best way to bulk email 2 million opt in email addresses?

Nice snippet. I see you didn't bother snipping the first of my response. Good spinning.

It's up to this fellow to decide if he wants to be a spammer or not. It's not necessarily illegal and morality is an individual decision as well. Difference between spammers and postal workers is that business have to PAY to have each piece of junk delivered. There is no pay system for email (yet). So the cost of delivery of spam is the burden of the equipment owners. If sending snail mail was free your postal carrier would make 10 trips to you house each day and he'd have to drive a tractor trailer full of mail. And as for the "recycling" part of bulk mail - as a resident with a postal address you implicitly agree to dispose of your mail - wanted or unwanted.

I disagree about condemnation. If you knew someone that worked for a telemarketing company that took advantage of elderly for some quasi-legal scam, would you condemn them? Would yourself work for this company? But I guess that touches in a whole separate societal issue.

On Thu, 2004-12-09 at 09:18 -0500, Paul wrote:
W. Chris Shank wrote:

> Tell your employer to spend the money he'd pay you (plus a lot more)
> on a mail marketing campaign. He'll get better results.

Uh, that might be easy for you to say since you are self-employed.  We
have at least one person here who is paid to work on anti-spam
technology, and at least one person here involved in what most people
agree is spam.  Though I believe spam and even junk paper mail should be
stopped at a *business* level, I don't think we should condemn an
individual trying to make a living.

Personally, I'd rather receive junk e-mail than junk paper mail.  It
must take much more energy and resources to create, distribute, and
recycle paper mail.

As my father likes to point out about recycling, businesses are giving
tax deductions and reduced postage rates to distribute their garbage
while the unwilling recipients must deal with the garbage.  We are told
it is our duty to protect the Earth by recycling.  We don't get paid to
do it, but that recycled material is worth money.  So, everyone else is
saving money or making money while we're bombarded by ads to convince us
to spend more money while being required to clean up the mess!

It is arguable that the Post Office, paper manufacturers, printers,
advertises, etc., are all benefiting.  But, when is the last time you
told a Postal worker to give up their salary for the ideal of having
less junk show up in your mail box?  The problem must be corrected at
the source.