eric@lucii.org on 10 Dec 2004 15:46:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] what could be broken?

On Fri, Dec 10, 2004 at 10:21:26AM -0500, Dan Widyono wrote:
> You'll want to strace -f to follow the children as well if less runs
> something else.  Most likely it's running the sleuthkit's version of file to
> identify the type of file (complete guess here) before opening it for
> "reading".  I believe more checks to make sure you don't try to view a binary
> file.  The initial error output shown below points me to the file binary (in
> "file: <error message>"... the "file:" part is the binary that's
> complaining).
>
> ldd sleuthkit's file binary to find libmagic.so.1.  I'm jumping in in the
> middle, so I dont' recall if it's Eric who installed sleuthkit, or someone
> else.
>
> Dan W.

Yes, your "complete guess" is exactly correct!
I installed the sleuthkit and I'm sure that it's sleuthkit's 'file' (installed
in /usr/local/bin/file) that was causing the problem.

I moved all the sleuthkit binaries to /root/bin so I can use them when I want
them without interfering with ordinary operations.  One thing I cannot
understand is why the install-sh script did not install the libraries too.
Guess I'll look into that in my "spare" time.  :-)

Eric
#   Eric Lucas