DvB on 30 Dec 2004 23:18:06 -0000

[PLUG] ...or upgrading? (was Tis the season for computer buying?)

Thanks for the replies. Some good information in there
I didn't know. I think I'll hold off at least a few
more months before purchasing a new machine.

Another option I'm considering is doing some selective
upgrades. As some of you suggested, my computer
currently does the job, albeit a little slower than a
new machine would.

I think the one thing that irks me most about it is
the video. I'm getting kind of tired of jerky video
and viewing digital photos, only to find that pics
that are perfectly clear on other people's computers
are so dark on mine that I can't make them out. Would
purchasing a new video card and monitor help me
significantly without upgrading my processor? I
currently have an STB Velocity 128 card (generic
version of the nVidia Riva 128) with 4MB vidRAM and
the 17" Dell monitor that came with the computer (and
has developed a bad habit of flickering and quivering
since my last move).

I'll probably go for a new 17" LCD-TFT monitor once I
find a decent one that's affordable, but could use
some suggestions on video cards. I've heard nVidia's
work best despite the proprietary drivers. Anyone else
care to comment? The ATI Rage 128 I had at my previous
job worked fine with Debian, but I know next to
nothing about newer cards.

Thanks again!