eric@lucii.org on 14 Jan 2005 03:04:38 -0000

Re: [PLUG] encrypted file systems, cfs, Ncryptfs, etc.

On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 07:37:16PM -0500, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> Does anyone have any experience using encrypted file systems?  In
> particular, I'm looking for something that can run over a network file
> system (so that the server never sees my unencrypted data).
>
> CFS fits the bill, but is quite old.  That could be good, could be
> bad.  It is debianized, that's good.
>
> Ncryptfs claims to perform better than CFS, but I haven't actually
> found source code for it.
>
> Maybe there are other things.  Any thoughts?
>
> --
>  Jeff

I use a couple of encrypted files that are mounted on a loopback device
and appear as a filesystem - mounted just where I need it.  Does this
fit the bill?  There is a howto out there (I google for it when I need
it - google is my bookmarks list.)  Oh, I use loop_fish2 - plenty of
security and good performance too.

HTH

Eric