Stephen Gran on 18 Jan 2005 21:23:46 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Linux as domain server--what's the easiest way?

On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 02:47:57PM -0500, Gregson Helledy said:
> A friend set out to become more computer literate a year ago.
> I installed SuSE 9.0 (or maybe 9.1) Personal for him, which
> he dual-boots with Win98.
> He also bought a laptop with XP, which he used while taking
> an MCSE cert class.
>
> His question is:  how can he set up linux as a Primary
> Domain Controller? (i.e. NT Domain Server)  I found an
> article online from 2001, http://www.freeos.com/articles/3842/
> but it involves a fair bit of editing of smb.conf.  Is there
> a point & click tool (or a recent FAQ)?  I'd like for him to
> have an easy success if possible.

samba 3.x and swat is what you're looking for.  swat is the point and
click tool to make it go, and it usually comes with the samba
distribution, but I don't know what Suse does.  I recommend 3.x because
earlier versions of samba have had some issues with newer Windows
clients.

HTH,
|  Stephen Gran                  | O'Reilly's Law of the Kitchen:          |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | Cleanliness is next to impossible       |