Paul L. Snyder on 14 Mar 2005 21:01:34 -0000

RE: [PLUG] happy pi day

Quoting George Gallen <ggallen@slackinc.com>:

> what is sad is that so much thought has gone into this?

I hardly think so!  In my opinion, there hasn't been anywhere near _enough_
thought put into it.

I mean, really!  The celebration of a universal constant such as pi should
not be tied to the vagaries of American date-writing conventions.  Perhaps
March 14 is suitable for a vulgar festival, but it's hardly intellectually
satisfying.

How about designating the "Pi Point" to be when 1/pi-th of a year has
elapsed?  That would be (if my calculations are correct) on April 27, just
after 04:23:40?  Or, 1/pi-th of a year /before/ the end of the year: that
would be September 6, just before 19:36:20.  (This latter is a much better
time to celebrate by raising circular beer glasses if we're calculating
relative to a local time zone.)

For reduced arbitrariness, rather than calculating from Jan 1, it could be
calculated relative to the solstices.  This has the added advantage of
eliminating any arguments about time zones.  As a back-of-the-napkin
calculation, that will be somewhere around April 16, 18:17 UTC.  In PA, that
will be 1:17 PM EST.  (Check above figures before relying on them, obviously.)

That's a Saturday, this year.  Anybody up for drinks?  We need to get the
REAL Pi Point on the calendar.

Irrationally,
pls