Stephen Gran on 11 Apr 2005 16:44:28 -0000

Re: [PLUG] DNS weirdness

On Mon, Apr 11, 2005 at 10:14:06AM -0400, Jeff Abrahamson said:
> On Sun, Apr 10, 2005 at 11:46:49AM -0400, Stephen Gran wrote:
> > Ensure zone transfers are working between machines, and make sure
> > that the primary recognizes itself as authoritative.
>
> How do I set those up?  I remember reading some stuff on it and
> getting a bit lost.  Clearly the tutorial assumed I had thousands of
> hosts and the complexity was worth it.  Or else I misunderstood stuff
> to be more complicated than it is.
>
> I've been doing the zone transfers by hand (updating bind.config.local
> and restarting bind).  A kludge, but I don't exactly change host
> name/ip bindings very often.  But it would be nice to do this.

In $primary:/etc/bind/named.conf.local:

zone "purple.com" {
     type master;
     file "purple.com";
     also-notify { $secondary; $tertiary;};
};

In $secondary & $tertiary:/etc/bind/named.conf.local:

zone "purple.com" {
      type slave;
      masters { $primary; };
      file "purple.com";
};

The also-notify {} and masters {} strings must be IP's, not hostnames.

Now when you update DNS on $primary, $secondary and $tertiary will pick
it up almost immediately.
|  Stephen Gran                  | Fudd's First Law of Opposition:  Push   |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | something hard enough and it will fall  |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | over.                                   |