Jeff Abrahamson on 25 Jun 2005 19:10:31 -0000

Re: [PLUG] OT: high speed internet connection

On Fri, Jun 24, 2005 at 09:26:00PM -0400, William H. Magill wrote:
> However, note that while DCAnet offers "fixed" IP addresses, they no
> longer offer Static IP addresses.  All new Fixed IP addresses are
> permanently assigned to a MAC address, and served up via DHCP. The
> only issue this raises is that of configuration. You really can't
> configure everything yourself anymore, you have to use the DHCP
> access so that your lease actually renews when it expires. (They use
> a 7 day lease as I recall.) Since I've been a customer since the
> beginning, I have a mix of both real static and fixed IP addresses...
> as I've replaced hardware with a new MAC address, I've had to switch
> over to the DHCP scheme. No big deal. It just works differently, but
> the IP address doesn't change.

What's the advantage to DCA of doing this, other than the fact that
there's extra tech support when people upgrade machines and forget to
reregister their new MAC address?

--
 Jeff

 Jeff Abrahamson  <http://www.purple.com/jeff/>    +1 215/837-2287