William H. Magill on 2 Jul 2005 13:57:44 -0000

Re: [PLUG] [OT] DSL Advice

On 01 Jul, 2005, at 14:56, George Theall intoned:
Are there any DSL providers servicing West Philly (48th and Baltimore)
that do not rely on Verizon as the ILEC? I just cancelled a
business-class, naked ADSL line that was on order with Speakeasy for 5
weeks after growing increasingly frustrated by Verizon's apparent
failure to deliver a working line.

After numerous delays, Verizon delivered the loop but Covad has been
claiming now for the past week that it doesn't meet their specs
(excessive DC voltage). In response, Verizon once claimed to have
repaired the line but for the past week was closing out trouble tickets
as soon as Covad would open them. Speakeasy was unable to tell me why
this was happening or what could be done to actually get me service.
Overall, I was happy with Speakeasy, but the ISP / CLEC / Verizon
business model seems deeply flawed to me.

In the past, people have had generally good things to say about DCA.net.
Who do they use for the actual lines? Any other ISPs that bypass
Verizon? Or should I look instead at cable (Urban Cable Works in my
area)?

DCAnet uses Verizon in (all?) of University City.
I'm out of the Evergreen CO - 38th and Chestnut - and have had the DCAnet
DSL service since it was Bell Atlantic.

I am right now waiting for the upgrade to the 3.0 meg service from
my 1.5 M X 380 K old "InfoSpeed Pro" service (historically classified
as business by DCAnet). The upgrade is scheduled for the 5th, and
should "simply" be a CO change, one assumes its a provisioning change.
As best as I can tell so far:

A) my old original Westel modem will continue to function as they
(Verizon) are apparently not using ADSL2 here, but simply an upgraded
DMT based service. But don't know yet.

B) DCAnet claims that the only difference in service I should see is
the faster line speed. New speed should be 3M X 768K. There should be
no interruption in connectivity (Except, I assume, for the reset of
DSLAM.)

The new 3.0 meg service will be "residential," and significantly
cheaper than the old "pro" service. As I recall, the residential
rate is $40 per month (I'm affiliated with Penn) and the new 3meg
service will be $64 per month. My old Pro service was about $100
per month. (All rates mentioned are before taxes & etc.)
[DCAnet's website is less than useful for finding out cost
information, you need to talk directly to a sales rep.]

BTW, DCAnet has "deals" for Penn, Drexel, Temple USP affiliates.
This is basically a discount but also does, or at least did, provide
"back door" IP routing to their nets. The "OldCity" hub is located
in the 401 North Broad "Hotel" and is connected directly into the
Internet 2 service anchored by Penn (magpi.net).

The other option available, I think in all of UC (it depends on the CO),
is Cavalier Telephone.
http://www.cavaliertelephone.com/

They claim you can add 10 meg DSL for only $25 to your existing Cavalier
Phone service. (Nominally $49 per month

Cavalier is a CLEC, and while the copper is provided by Verizon, the line
is "deeded" to Cavalier.

Again, you'll have to talk directly to Cavalier as their service
availability is dependent upon CO and their website is generic for their
entire service area (they are based in VA, and cover 5 states plus DC).

I haven't explored the Cavtel option in depth, it's new.
However, they appear to provide a single static IP for residential DSL,
and, as with DCAnet, simply provide you with a Modem connection -- apparently
unblocked.

I also have Time Warner's (aka Urban Cable Works) Road Runner service.
Road Runner is also an "unblocked" service. They provide a Toshiba
PCX Cable Modem/router. It's a DOCSIS modem. However, SNMP access is
apparently disabled, but it does do NAT/DHCP.
I don't use that line except in the rare case when I've got
problems with the DCAnet line; however, my son uses it for gaming, and
recently has been complaining about the modem dropping out. I'm going
to be swapping out the modem in the next day or so to see if that
fixes the problem.

The RR modem is MAC registered with RR and provides the DHCP and NAT
service to the boxes behind it. (Mine is connected to an antique
LynkSys Wireless 4 port switch.)  I've never been convinced that the
RR service is as fast as it claims to be (i.e. 10 meg), but only the
more typical 3 meg ... but while I routinely check the DSL connection
speeds with DSLreports, I haven't done that with the RR connection.

T.T.F.N. William H. Magill # Beige G3 [Rev A motherboard - 300 MHz 768 Meg] OS X 10.2.8 # Flat-panel iMac (2.1) [800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg] OS X 10.4.1 # PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg] Tru64 5.1a # XP1000 [Alpha 21264-3 (EV6) - 256 meg] FreeBSD 5.3 # XP1000 [Alpha 21264-A (EV 6.7) - 384 meg] FreeBSD 5.3 magill@mcgillsociety.org magill@acm.org magill@mac.com whmagill@gmail.com