Pat Regan on 21 Jul 2005 03:42:29 -0000

Re: [PLUG] dyndns

Stewart B. Lone wrote:
> Did the woody firewall handle the update script, or was it a chron job?

There was a package that installed a daemon that watched for the IP
address to change.  All I had to do was add my username, password, and
dns name to a config file.  It ran for something like 3 years without me
touching it.

I believe the package was ddclient, and it seems to be much fancier than
it was when I first installed it.  Here is the blurb from apt-cache show:

 A perl based client to update your dynamic IP address at DynDNS.org
 (or other dynamic DNS services such as Hammernode, Zoneedit or
 EasyDNS), thus allowing you and others to use a fixed hostname
 (myhost.dyndns.org) to access your machine. This client supports both
 the dynamic and (near) static services, MX setting, and alternative
 host. It caches the
 address, and only attempts the update if the address actually changes.
 .
 For more information on DynDNS.org, see http://www.dyndns.org/.

Pat