Art Alexion on 9 Sep 2005 18:23:50 -0000

Re: [PLUG] debian/ubuntu: updating the kernel with apt

sean finney wrote:

>hey,
>
>On Fri, Sep 09, 2005 at 11:51:44AM -0400, Art Alexion wrote:
>

>>I assume that the location of the boot partition is stored somewhere so
>>that dpkg can figure out how to update the menu.lst.  Does anyone know
>>where so that I can manually change it and avoid having to manually edit
>>menu.lst every time I update the kernel?
>>

>if ubuntu does it the same as debian, if you look further up in menu.lst
>you'll see some "commented out" options, which are actually used as
>the default settings for when menu.lst is regenerated.  for example:

>### BEGIN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST
>## lines between the AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST markers will be modified
>## by the debian update-grub script except for the default options below
>
>## DO NOT UNCOMMENT THEM, Just edit them to your needs
>
>## ## Start Default Options ##
>## default kernel options
>## default kernel options for automagic boot options
>## If you want special options for specifiv kernels use kopt_x_y_z
>## where x.y.z is kernel version. Minor versions can be omitted.
>## e.g. kopt=root=/dev/hda1 ro
># kopt=root=/dev/hda1 ro
>
>change that, _leaving it commented out_, and then rerun update-grub to
>make sure it looks how you want.  also notice that you can even specify
>different options for kernels based on major/minor versions, which
>might be helpful for debian vs homerolled kernels.

Thanks, Sean. So easy to do; so tough to find.

I had no idea "update-grub" was doing anything with the commented out
stuff.  I guess the single comments (#) prevent grub from reading the
lines and the double comments (##) prevent grub-update from reading.

--

Art Alexion

The attachment -- signature.asc -- is my electronic signature; no need for alarm.
Info @ http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/signature.asc.what.html

Key for signed PDFs available at
http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/ArthurSAlexion.p7c