LeRoy Cressy on 6 Oct 2005 03:08:16 -0000

Re: [PLUG] enigmail

Stewart B Lone wrote:
> Just recently had to reinstall mozilla thunder bird.  When I installed
> enigmail to complete the insallation, I noticed a change. Up at the top
> of the page where it used to say "Enigmail" it now says "OpenPGP". I
> have downloaded enigmail before, I dont think I made any mistakes. Do I
> have the right program.  I imagine Mr. Cressy would be up on this?
> Stewart

If you noticed in previous versions the config for mail and newsgroup
settings had Open PGP Security.  Now Patrick has changed the drop down
menu title to indicate the same.

It seems to me that these changes came about after GnuPG became part of
the Open PGP protocol.

http://www.gnupg.org states in the first paragraph:
GnuPG is a complete and free replacement for PGP. Because it does not
use the patented IDEA  algorithm, it can be used without any
restrictions. GnuPG is a RFC2440 (OpenPGP) compliant application.

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2440.txt

Patrick has been changing the interface to reflect the protocol rather
than the enigmail application.

First he changed mail and newsgroup account settings and now he has
changed the menu bar.  I think that the object is to be able to
interface with all of the Open PGP compliant back ends like GnuPG and
Open PGP.

- --
 Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy  mailto:leroy@lrcressy.com   /\_/\
                       http://lrcressy.com        ( o.o )
                       Phone:  215-535-4037        > ^ <
                       FAX:    215-535-4285

gpg fingerprint:  62DE 6CAB CEE1 B1B3 359A  81D8 3FEF E6DA 8501 AFEA

For info on enigmail:    http://lrcressy.com/linux/mozilla.pdf
For info on gpg:         http://www.gnupg.org/