George Gallen on 17 Oct 2005 17:44:38 -0000

RE: [PLUG] Unknown FS and mounting a Floppy

you may also have to play with the ibs= (input block size), try
  512, 1024, 2048.

I agree with this. First get it to a harddrive.
Chances are it's not in a fileformat, but rather straight data dumped to
  to the floppies.

Make sure you put each floppy in it's own file.

The reason may be this could be a multi-disk backup, and if you don't have
the right order, you won't read it properly.

try:

tar -tvf filename  on each image before you give up on tar

tar will attempt to figure out the block size (if from the device directly,
  but if you use dd with the wrong block size, tar may not be able to read
  it at all from the file)

I don't use cpio very often, and I would need to play with the
  switches from 'man cpio'. If the device /dev/fd0 doesn't work
  with cpio, try /dev/fd0c

tar and cpio write to floppy and/or tape as a datastream, or
  sequentially, rather than in a random access method (that a
  file format that would require a superblock.