Doug Crompton on 31 Oct 2005 16:17:36 -0000

Re: [PLUG] RAID Backup Server

I use hardware raid 1 here - two mirrored SATA drives. I think that would
be the most cost effective but to get the kind of total capacity you want
you would have to buy a drives equal to that size. I use two 160G in my
array for a total of 160G minus overhead.

My business depends on the hard disk industry. We make measuring equipment
to test the magnetic properties of drive platters. As much as I like the
business I find it so archaic to have a mechanical device spinning around
24/7. Also so much energy is consumed. I have to believe there will be a
better way someday. Some kind of automted backup would be nice but not to
tape. Maybe have an array of drives say five or seven. In sequence one
would turn-on daily, backup from the network, and turn-off. The next day
it would be the next drive, etc. Drives would be tested for integrity and
a report issued. No drive would be on for more then 30 minutes in a week
period. You would have the number of drives backup period in days. Of
course the period could be changed. Maybe you would want to take a
snapshot several times a day. Oh well just a thought. It is a sticky
situation with the kinds of capacities we use today. Maybe distribution is
a better approach. Saving your data to several widely separated systems.

Doug

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *
*  215-431-6307		   *