Mike Ciul on 7 Dec 2005 16:58:43 -0000

Re: [PLUG] [OT] Career opportunities

Hi Chris,

I'm a stay at home dad with two kids. I've thought about computer work
too. A couple years ago, I took a part-time job with a nonprofit.
Although the job was advertised as a "content manager" on the
organization's website, it turned out to be a contract position. I was
paid $15 an hour and I had to pay my own social security, benefits, etc.
When I talked to other computer workers, they seemed unsurprised - but
after my wife looked into the situation, this appears to be illegal -
contractors are supposed to advertise and the clients are supposed to
come to them. They are paid by the job, not by the hour.

I have a feeling a lot of people are getting screwed this way. Before
you consider self employment, I would suggest seriously considering the
costs and the risks.

- Mikee

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005, Christopher M. Jones wrote:

> Hi, all. I'm asking for general advice from those of you who have some
> experience or knowledge of the technology job market. I'm finding that
> my family's financial needs are outpacing my earning potential as a
> private school teacher. Since I do have some pretty good computer
> skills, I was thinking I might try to make a start there. The problem is
> that my education is in the humanities and my computer experience is all
> circumstantial and informal. What are my options?
>
> I know Linux (been using it for about seven years), HTML, PHP, some
> Java, had a course or two in C++, and I know some networking and general
> system administration. I'm willing to do anything, as long as there is
> the chance for advancement. My salary requirements are, at the bare
> minimum, $30,000.
>
> I've considered self employment as well. Any suggestions there?

Extremists on all sides thrive, fed by the blood lust of centuries
gone by.

 - Nelson Mandela