Stewart B Lone on 4 Jan 2006 22:26:01 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Re: SATA and Raid

Aaron Mulder wrote:

> [...]
Intel's can,

>> Really?  That's cool.  But it has to depend on the speed of the slot,
>> right?  I mean, the x1 PCI Express slots are only like 1" long, and a
>> PCI-X slot is huge.
>>
>> Hmm -- I'm not so sure I believe you.  For example,
>>
>> http://intel.com/design/servers/boards/se7525gp2/index.htm
>>
>> The PCI Express and PCI-X slots are separate on that one.  But it's
>> the only one I checked.   :)
>>
>> Anyway, regarding Doug's point on 533 MHz PCI-X, the fastest card I've
>> actually seen is 64-bit 133Mhz, but perhaps they're building them to
>> the faster spec now.
>>
>> Aaron

PCIe slots come in a couple of iterations. A "normal" looking one for
vidio cards etc., And, the smaller aproximately 1" size for nic cards
and the like that require a smaller pinout. I also think that there is
another intermediate size but dont have any experience as to what its
use is. Here is a picture of the larger and smaller PCIe slots:-

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1495397&CatId=0is.

Stewart