Douglas Muth on 24 Jan 2006 15:08:26 -0000

Re: [PLUG] /usr/local vs. /opt

On 1/24/06, John Von Essen <john@essenz.com> wrote:
> Well, oracle goes in /u01 - but thats a different story all together.
>
> /opt is big in the Sun world. Sun likes /usr/local for non-core system
> things, while /opt is used for everything else.
>
> You cant get away from it because alot of Sun packages are built to
> install in /opt.

Perhaps my information on Oracle is outdated. It was based on my
experience with Oracle 7.3 running on an SGI IRIX box. (This was in
many years past ;-)

I'd be interesting in knowing what the rationale was for putting in
/u01 now, though.

(Maybe we should take this offlist, since we're starting to stray from Linux...)

-- doug