Stephen Gran on 26 Apr 2006 07:35:32 -0000

Re: [PLUG] firewire errors (non-fatal)

On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 05:30:09PM -0400, Jeff Abrahamson said:
> On Sun, Apr 23, 2006 at 03:11:54PM +0100, Stephen Gran wrote:
> > Make a new file:
> > /etc/modutils/name-does-not-matter
> > add
> > options $module_name $variable=$value
> >
> > so in your case something like:
> > options sb2 serialize_io=1
> >
> > Then run update-modules.  rmmod the module, and reload, and it should be
> > loaded with the new options.  /sbin/modinfo $module gives the full list
> > of options a module supports (hopefully).
>
> Hmm.  I did this, and now I see this:
>
>     jeff@astra:etc $ grep sbp modules.conf
>     ### update-modules: start processing /etc/modutils/sbp2-hack
>     options sbp2 serialize_io=1
>     ### update-modules: end processing /etc/modutils/sbp2-hack
>     jeff@astra:etc $
>
> Yet I also see this:
>
>     jeff@astra:etc $ cat /sys/module/sbp2/parameters/serialize_io
>     0
>     jeff@astra:etc $
>
> I have rebooted even since the modutils change.

That shouldn't be necessary.  Just rmmod, and modprobe should pick up
the change.

> Any thought what I might be doing wrong?

/etc/sysctl.conf:
module.sbp2.parameters.serialize_io = 1

It's another way of doing it.  I am not sure if it will work, but it's
worth a shot.  No reboot necessary, just run sysctl, and rmmod and
modprobe again.  I am a little confused as to why the first way didn't
get it right - modules.conf is supposed to be honored by modprobe, and
if it's not, that's decidedly odd.
|  Stephen Gran                  | A good reputation is more valuable than |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | money.   -- Publilius Syrus             |