Tom Diehl on 25 May 2006 02:48:32 -0000

[PLUG] Re: Speakeasy/COVAD outages yesterday

On Wed, 24 May 2006, W. Chris Shank wrote:

> I'm using speakeasy and have referred about 30 of my customers to them. I
> had a very persistent problem with our netopia T1 router that was ultimately
> fixed by switching to a siemans routers (had to get a brand new netopia
> before they would believe me). This proble occured after very high traffic
> sustained over a very long time. Somehow the connection between WAN & LAN
> would degrade, initially with long delays and eventually completely break
> down. Power cycling was the only solution. We've had the siemans for 3 months
> and haven't touched it. So it was definately something with that model
> netopia.

Hummm, interesting. What model of Netopia? I am just curious because I turned
up a new speakeasy circuit in Feb and the router thay gave me is a Netopia.

So far the Netopia has operated flawlessly. In addition, I have used Netopia
equipment in the past and never had a problem.

> I wasn't thrilled with the tech support during the process only because they
> kept saying it was a traffic problem even when there was little traffic. I
> had to be very persistent to get it resolved.

I have always liked their overall service but on the few occasions where I have
had problems that were not simple outages, I have found their basic trouble
shooting skills to be lacking at best.

In all fairness though, the other providers I have worked with were no better.

I am now on one of their "business accounts" with a "Dedicated service advisor"
So far I have had no reason to need to interact with this person, so I do not
know if he/she is any better than the run of the mill Tech support person who
answers the phone. Time will tell I suppose.

Regards,

Tom Diehl		tdiehl@rogueind.com		Spamtrap address mtd123@rogueind.com