Stephen Gran on 4 Jun 2006 19:47:17 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Re: Sendmail backup MX queuing spams

On Sun, Jun 04, 2006 at 10:41:14AM -0400, Tom Diehl said:
> On Fri, 2 Jun 2006, Michael Bevilacqua wrote:
> I do not know how to do this in sendmail but most likely your problem
> is that you are accepting mail for any_user@domain.com. When the backup
> tries to hand off the message to the primary then it bounces the mail
> for the invalid users. You need to tell then backup to only accept mail
> for valid users OR drop the backup mx.
>
> With postfix this is not hard to do assuning you can get a list of valid
> users. I am sure there is a way to do this with sendmail but I dumped
> sendmail years ago and have forgotten everything I knew about it.

There is a callout milter for sendmail, that lets you check with the
primary to see what addresses are valid.  Of course, when the primary is
down, you will accept all the random addresses, but that's better than
now.
|  Stephen Gran                  | A woman forgives the audacity of which  |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | her beauty has prompted us to be        |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | guilty.   -- LeSage                     |