Eugene Smiley on 29 Jul 2006 06:47:13 -0000

Re: [PLUG] home-rolled storage suggestions

sean finney wrote:
hey folks,

i think it's high time i start investing in my own personal storage
system, and would be interested to hear what others are doing.

ideally, i'd like to piece something together that meets the following criteria:
- small form factor and reasonably quiet (think: top shelf in my closet).
- independant, not requiring a powered-on desktop system
- gigabit ethernet and/or wireless connectivity, shared via smb etc
- RAID functionality with monitoring
- internally/externally expandable to >= 1 TB
- i/o performance good enough to allow an rsync and a couple multimedia
streams simultaneously

or in other words, i guess i want to make a cheapo NAS.

Right now my favorite solution is the Buffalo Teraserver PRO. The home version is cheaper, but harder to swap the drives out. The PRO version comes with (4) 600GB drives that can be combined as RAID 0, 1, or 5. I'm not sure about gigabit. Wireless will never be close to gigabit speeds though...