Mike Leone on 3 Aug 2006 19:19:19 -0000

[PLUG] Kubuntu and a Belkin 54g wireless card with an Atheros chipset

So last night I decided to make my laptop dual-boot, and installed kubuntu
6.06 on it (whatever the name is - I remember version numbers, not code
names ...). Anyways, I use a Belkin 7010 wireless card, rev 5000, which
apparently has an Atheros chipset (at least, that's what it says when I plug
it in, and what some web searches have led me to believe). Of course, it's
not working, since apparently there's no built-in driver for such a beast,
in the lates 2.6.15 (I think that's the kernel version).

There's a reason why I got fed up with using Linux on a dekstop; I fight
with computers all day at work; I prefer not to fight (too hard ..) at home,
as well. :-)

Anyways, anyone have any experience with this kind of combination? I
searched and tried stuff for a few hours last night, none of which worked.
Apparently, the device shows as "ath0", but the card never lights, and I
don't get an IP. I'm at work, so of course I don't remember all the details
of what I tried, but I know I made entries in my /etc/network/interfaces,
specifying the example iw-whatever commands that are supposed to work (and
don't, in my case :-).

Anybody?