George Gallen on 4 Aug 2006 13:21:33 -0000

[PLUG] SCSI RAID Drive array (Internal vs External)

Title: SCSI RAID Drive array (Internal vs External)

Since we are planning for a new system, I'm considering making our
data drives (which are currently internal SCSI RAID card - 0+1) an external
drive bay, so if we had to switch to a another system down the road, moving
the data would be as simple as disconnect and reconnect.

Is there any drawback to hooking up the drives to the external port of a
SCSI controller, vs the internal port? Speed differences?

We currently have a 10 drive RAID 0+1,  5 (18gb) drives striped and mirrored.
This is for a database server, it was suggested by IBM that we stripe out the
drives to make for faster reads.

If we go external, does the server still handle the RAIDing, or does the drive
bay enclosure handle the RAIDing, and it just appears as one SCSI device to
the server?

George

George Gallen
Senior Programmer/Analyst
Accounting/Data Division
ggallen@slackinc.com
ph:856.848.1000 Ext 220

SLACK Incorporated - Delivering the best in health care information and education worldwide.
http://www.slackinc.com