Jeff Abrahamson on 24 Aug 2006 12:37:50 -0000

Re: [PLUG] pointers for newbies by us oldies

On Thu, Aug 24, 2006 at 08:13:40AM -0400, LeRoy Cressy wrote:
>   [67 lines, 315 words, 2852 characters]  Top characters: tenoiash

> Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 11:48:55PM +0100, Stephen Gran wrote:
> >

> >>http://rute.2038bug.com/rute.html.gz
> >>
> >>It's not perfect, and it's a little dated, but it gets some of the
> >>conceptual parts across reasonably well.
> >

> > That's an excellent intro for you or me, thanks for sharing it.  But I
> > think it will scare away my Windows-using friend who uses Office and
> > MSIE as his two main app suites and sees a computer as mostly that.  I
> > think I need to point him at something that doesn't ever require
> > running an xterm variant.
> >

> I have found that the best selling tool for Linux is a KNOPPIX CD where
> the person can use Linux prior to installing it on their box.  The
> Windows user can see how kde works along with open office and a lot of
> other applications.
>
> If they want to install Linux and they have a good network connection I
> tell them that they can continue to use both Linux and windows on the
> same machine.  I have found that after they have started using Linux for
> a while the majority will eventually switch to using Linux almost
> exclusively.

Thanks, that's very good advice.  I also found that Wikipedia has an
article on knoppix that augments nicely the knoppix website for
explaining what knoppix is.

Thanks much to all who responded on and off list.

--
 Jeff

 Jeff Abrahamson  <http://jeff.purple.com/>          +1 215/837-2287