Jeff Abrahamson on 20 Sep 2006 00:25:44 -0000

[PLUG] m4 and writing files

I have an m4 program that I would like to have write some extra files.
That is, I occasionally divert output to somewhere, and I'd like to
undivert that output to a file other than stdout.

    hello
    divert(1)
    This is a test.
    undivert(1) > test.txt    # this line is incorrect
    world

would put

    hello
    world

on stdout while also creating the file test.txt with contents "This is
a test."

Anyone know how to do this?  It seems hard to believe m4 doesn't
support it.  (I know, for some of you it will seem hard to believe I'm
using m4.  But it's really quite useful.)

--
 Jeff

 Jeff Abrahamson  <http://jeff.purple.com/>          +1 215/837-2287