jeff on 4 Jan 2007 23:53:45 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Reclamation of a Dell Latitude LM (P166)

mmalten@comcast.net wrote:
It's a Pentium MMX 166, Dell Latitude LM, no ethernet, PC modem card, swappable floppy and CD drive.

It seems to be in good shape -- just suffering outdated specs.

Assuming I figure out how to swap out the floppy for the CD

check underneath for a release and slide it out. Do you have both?

so I can stick Linux on this puppy, what else could I do with it? Is it possible to connect it to ethernet,

if it has no internal card, you'd have to get a pcmcia ethernet card (and the PITA dongle).

and where could I find an adapter?

ebay? I remember there was a very popular 3com... can't remember the model... 3c574? Anyway, you just put it in the slot, load drivers, and you're off. There are also combo modem/ethernet pcmcia cards.

Can I connect a USB drive to it?

does it have USB ports?

Check Dell's site to see if there are updated drivers and BIOS. Their BIOS flashers are booted from floppy.

Dells have a service code you can use to look them up, or just go by make and model. They keep everything online.

Not sure if I have any older parts but let me know what you're looking for and I'll check.