gyoza on 27 Jan 2007 06:21:26 -0000

Re: [PLUG] large file transfer

Matthew Rosewarne wrote:
On Friday 26 January 2007 20:33, gyoza@comcast.net wrote:
First problem: sftp connections are being handled by sshd instead of
vsftpd, so it isn't using vsftpd's chroot feature.
vsftpd doesn't handle SFTP, which is an SSH-specific protocol designed to replace SCP. Instead it uses FTP with SSL like a webserver might use HTTP with SSL, which is called FTPS (like HTTPS) and is not compatible with SFTP. The wikipedia can probably explain it better than I can:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FTPS
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSH_file_transfer_protocol

I learned that after a while. heh It seems that I can get basic functionality by just doing a fresh install, adding the ssh server, and creating some user accounts. FileZilla can connect using "SFTP using SSH2", and I'm guessing that the "Transmit" ftp client for Macs can, too.

Using vsftpd I was able to configure SSL for authentication while switching it off for data transfer. Nice. Virtual users are a pain to enable, chroot, and give individual directories to. I gave up. heh

It's interesting that logging in with SSL or TLS works, but choosing SSL/TLS fails. ___________________________________________________________________________